So you made it past the telephone interview… now onto the in-person. Don’t take it lightly, you will be “on-stage” for a few hours for most Information Security and Engineering job opportunities. Don’t underestimate your competition either, most companies interview 4-6 candidates for every upper-level position.
- Dress in your best. Even if you know the company is casual you always wear your best interview suit. You can always dress down the first day of work. Keep yourself professional during the interview process.
- Surprise, Show up in the company parking lot 15 minutes early to play i safe and relax for a few moments to collect your thoughts.
- Learn as much as you can about the company and the job you are interviewing for before the interview. Look up the company on the internet for news stories. This will show you’ve done your homework and are interested in them.
- Prepare a few stock success stories for the interview. Focus on a problem you’ve solved, and how the company benefited from your actions. Show the company how you could do the same for them. Have facts and figures in your story – i.e. I saved my last company twenty thousand dollars by improving X. People forget facts, but they remember results.
- R-E-L-A-X. Don’t appear desperate or anxious during your interview. Remember you’re on the short list of candidates if you have gotten you this far.
- Bring multiple copies of your resume. Yes, the company has a copy already, but you will likely meet other people who have no idea who you are or what you do. Be professional and prepared and have extra resumes on hand for anyone you may meet.
- Remember you are “on” from the moment you enter their property. They are judging how you will fit into the culture from the get-go so NEVER assume the interview is “over”. The interview is over when you are in your car driving off the property.
- After the interview is over call the recruiter to let them know how it went. Be honest! Don’t overlook the details. Keep in mind companies may ask for a follow-up interview so keep in touch with your recruiting team at Pace Morgan.